The Visiting Artist Program is a short-term opportunity for professional artists to fully immerse themselves in an exquisite retreat environment conducive to working with no distraction. We invite applications from accomplished artists and thinkers who would benefit from a small amount of focused time to create new work, complete a project, conduct research, teach a workshop, write, or simply sketch amid the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains.
The primary aim of the program is to create a meaningful exchange between masters of their craft, students, residents, and the public. Visiting Artists have access to fully-equipped studios in a thoughtfully designed environment on 78 pristine mountain and farm acres. Artists are encouraged to exchange ideas and engage with the creative energy of the staff and residents, explore the surrounding Adirondack region, and share their knowledge and work with the local community.
Paul Z. Nowicki Master Artists Fellowship
The Paul Z. Nowicki Master Artists Fellowship is open to accomplished professionals in the fields of ceramics, visual and performing arts, culinary arts, design, writing, or ecology and scholarly regional research. Interested artists may submit an application with a specific proposal or be invited as a visiting artist for a period of up to two weeks.
The Fellowship provides:
- private housing at Craigardan
- studio space specific to the visit, if requested
- a weekly farm share and 2-3 prepared meals
- free participation in all courses and events
- gallery and lecture opportunities
- a budget for materials and an honorarium based on merit
- Open to any professional whose work is relevant to Craigardan’s mission
- Option to lead a workshop on a topic relevant to the artist’s area of expertise
- Present a short talk as part of our Applebarn Series to fellow program participants and the local community
2017/2018 Visiting Artists:
Jennifer Kidwell + Thomas Graves
PLEASE NOTE: All visiting artists are responsible for their own transportation and any personal tools or expenses. Applicants may schedule a visit to Craigardan prior to applying.
2018 master Artists fellowship Application:
Fellowship length: 2 days to 2 weeks, May through October
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year for visits between May and October. Applicants may indicate a preference for specific dates and request their length of visit.
Application must include:
- Completed Application form
- Resume or CV
- Statement of Intent - describe the workshop you would like to teach and/or the independent work you would like to pursue.
- Include details on space and materials requirements.
- 2 references (optional)
- 5-10 images of recent work (if relevant) or other examples of work
- An image script, which includes the title, medium, size, and date of each image
There is no application fee at this time. Complete applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Images should be shared via Dropbox to firstname.lastname@example.org Notification will be made via email.