The Visiting Artist Program is a short-term opportunity for professional artists to fully immerse themselves in an exquisite retreat environment conducive to working with no distraction. We invite applications from accomplished artists and thinkers who would benefit from a small amount of focused time to create new work, complete a project, conduct research, teach a workshop, write, or simply sketch amid the beauty of the Adirondack Mountains.
The primary aim of the program is to create a meaningful exchange between masters of their craft, students, residents, and the public. Visiting Artists have access to fully-equipped studios in a thoughtfully designed environment on 78 pristine mountain and farm acres. Artists are encouraged to exchange ideas and engage with the creative energy of the staff and residents, explore the surrounding Adirondack region, and share their knowledge and work with the local community.
Paul Z. Nowicki Master Artists Fellowship
The Paul Z. Nowicki Master Artists Fellowship is open to accomplished professionals in the fields of ceramics, art, design, fine craft, and writing, or ecology and regional research. Interested artists may submit an application with a specific proposal or be invited as a visiting artist for a period of up to two weeks.
The Fellowship provides:
- exclusive use of a secluded timber frame guest house at Craigardan
- studio space specific to the visit, if requested
- a weekly farm share, stocked in the guest house kitchen along with other necessities
- gallery and lecture opportunities
- a budget for materials and an honorarium based on merit
- Open to any professional whose work is relevant to Craigardan’s mission
- May lead a one or two-week workshop on a topic relevant to the artist’s area of expertise
- May be asked to present a slide lecture to program participants and the community
PLEASE NOTE: All visiting artists are responsible for their own transportation and any personal tools or expenses. Applicants may schedule a visit to Craigardan prior to applying.
2018 master Artists fellowship Application:
Fellowship length: 2 days to 2 weeks, May 15 through October 15, 2017
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year for visits between May and October. Applicants may indicate a preference for specific dates and request their length of visit.
Application must include:
- Completed Application form
- Resume or CV
- Statement of Intent - describe the workshop you would like to teach and/or the independent work you would like to pursue.
- Include details on space and materials requirements.
- 2 references
- 5-10 images of recent work (if relevant) or other examples of work
- An image script, which includes the title, medium, size, and date of each image
There is no application fee at this time. Complete applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Images should be shared via Dropbox to email@example.com Notification will be made via email.